Career & Training Specialist
POSITION: Career & Training Specialist
AREA: Chelan and Douglas Counties
OFFICE: Wenatchee, Washington
WAGE RANGE: $21.82 - $29.24 Per Hour
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time Non-Exempt Employment
NORMAL WORKING HRS: 40 hours per week.
Employee will follow SkillSource’s employment guidelines and procedures.
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Training Manager
SkillSource facilitates the one-stop partnership and provides employment and training services to job seekers and employers throughout North Central Washington. The non-profit agency has a thirty-eight year track record of arranging and/or linking career seekers to high quality workforce development services.
This position is responsible for providing a full range of personnel and training services to SkillSource business and career seeker customers, with a concentrated focus on the business customer. These services include, but are not limited to: building business customer relationships, designing employee training, providing hiring and training technical assistance to employers, developing training positions with local businesses, negotiating and writing training contracts, developing employer job descriptions and evaluations, assisting employers with employee skill assessments. Responsibilities may also include: screening applicants to meet specific employer requests, creating and instructing workshops/seminars, recruiting program customers, determining and verifying eligibility, assessing skills and barriers, conducting career/vocational counseling, and entering and maintaining customer records in multiple management information systems. Additionally, this position works with minimal supervision and self direction to complete established goals and objectives.
· Regularly contacts and meets with employers to develop training plans, promote SkillSource services, coordinate recruitment efforts, and local additional business services; Makes multimedia presentations.
· Establishes and maintains working relationships with educational and training institutions, employers, other public agencies and community based organizations for recruitment and training purposes; Makes presentations and participates as a member of advisory committees, service clubs and related associations to promote and/or coordinate SkillSource services.
· Packages custom education and job training activities that maximize each customer’s competency achievement and employability development.
· Develops training contracts when appropriate; negotiates and writes training contracts; facilitates supervisor, trainer, and customer orientation and communicates program activity rules and regulations.
· Recruits customers and promotes SkillSource and WorkSource system services; facilitates orientation and communicates SkillSource service information in individual and/or group settings. Refers customers to other resources and services.
· Conducts intake interviews and applies appropriate federal, state and local guidelines to determine eligibility for program and/or type of services; gathers and compiles eligibility documentation and communicates eligibility determination outcomes to customers. Communicates information on local complaint resolution policy and equal opportunity to all customers.
· Conducts individual assessment and evaluation of a customer’s overall employment and training needs through in-depth counseling sessions; identifies employment barriers.
· Develops individualized written employability and career plans with customers, independently or in coordination with other service providers, that provides for needs such as occupational/aptitude testing, training, supportive services, health and medical care.
· Discusses and develops employment and/or training plans with customers; administers and interprets skill, interest, and aptitude assessments and tests; participates in case staffing.
· Develops and maintains employability plans that include multiple customer service strategies that maximize organizational performance outcomes.
· Continually motivates customers to achieve educational and/or employment goals; documents progress and updates and adjusts employability plans as necessary.
· Develops and maintains up-to-date customer files that contain eligibility documentation, employability plans, assessments, training activity documents and contracts, evaluations, counseling notes, time sheets/attendance forms and other related information.
· Authorizes, evaluates and monitors supportive service vouchers and training activity expenditures; monitors time sheets and other related documents.
· Consistently provides follow-up counseling and assistance to customers who have been placed into a training activity or unsubsidized employment. Regularly travels to training sites for follow-up and monitoring purposes.
· Researches, plans, organizes and delivers workshops and seminars to customers and employers; selects and/or develops and distributes training aids such as instructional material, handouts, evaluation forms and visual aids; sets-up and operates audiovisual equipment.
· Regularly conducts follow-up contacts with employers and customers; provides input and implementation strategies for corrective action plans.
· Consistently enters and maintains employer and customer data in multiple management information systems and web-based applications; operates several computer applications.
Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor degree in related field such as training and development, business, marketing, communications, personnel administration, education, psychology, counseling, human resources or other social science field. Or Associate degree (any discipline) and two years experience providing business development & outreach, marketing, training, case management, counseling, or other direct services to employers or employees and/or at-risk individuals. Or four years directly related experience may be substituted for bachelor degree.
2. A valid vehicle driver’s license, access to reliable transportation, automobile liability insurance as required, and willingness to travel at approved mileage reimbursement rate.
3. One year work experience with computer applications.
4. Ability to speak Spanish preferred.
1. Effective verbal and written communication skills.
2. Ability to develop positive relationships with at-risk youth, adults and local businesses.
Completed application and resume required. To apply, complete application and upload resume online at https://www.skillsource.org/employment. Position open until filled.
240 N. Mission Street
Wenatchee, WA 98801
WA Relay 711
SkillSource is an equal opportunity employer/program. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.